Saturday, March 27, 2010

Day 9 - Perhentian Islands, Malaysia

I lost my zip-lock bag full of cash in the ocean, got the worst sunburn of my life, lost my I-pod and had a my wife pull out a can of mace on my friend who cornered her in our bungalow while I was out. Would you believe me if I said that I'm still in paradise?

Actually, I'm not so sure myself. This island in Malaysia is gorgeous without a doubt, but we've had some major bumps in the road. I'm a man who loves justice and I don't just mean the French electronic duo. I've had a few situations over the past month where I should have fought. The catch is, I'm an English teacher. More importantly, I'm an international ESL teacher, and criminal records can prevent me from getting visas and working with the students that I love so much. But man! I should have beaten the fuck out of a few people!

We were staying at this bungalow in the jungle on this island in Malaysia! (How sexy does that sound?) We met up with the two managers of the place, Imran and Amir from Pakistan. They seemed like awesome guys. They kept calling us friends, letting us use their kitchen, giving us discounts, etc. Actually, last night we were hanging with them at their place, drinking rum and posing with chickens on our shoulders. All the while an Indian movie plays in the background with bad 'dance' music from 1995. I'm not talking about house music here, I'm talking about dance music that 10 year old girls listened to in 1995. Anyway, today I went for a dive, Imran came to our room while I was gone, Sue told him to leave 4 times, he wouldn't. He was saying things like, 'Chad is going to be gone diving', 'I want to be your boyfriend', and of course, 'I love you!'. So she took out the can of mace......He stopped with the 'I love you' thing. I returned back to the place, and he cooked us lunch. It was delicious. Sue just told me now, because she was afraid it would ruin my mood.

Fuck!

Yes, I was in a good mood because I got my open-water diving license. Very cool!

I lost my I-pod! Huge blow! No more Joni singing me to sleep when I miss Canada. No more Richard Ashcroft reminding me that life is electric. I'll survive. I still have the sexiest woman Busan ever produced.

chad

4 comments:

  1. rough things always happen when traveling. Just roll with the punches and learn when to duck. Be proactive when it comes to your personal security.

    ReplyDelete
  2. for sure! learning as we go. we've been to SE Asia a few times, but we keep finding our way into trouble.
    hope you had a great time with your daughter btw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. do not leave your wife alone in the place like a bungalow in the jungle where chickens and horny Pakistani men are running around. You know Sue attracts men even when she does not intend to do so ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG!!! u should report it to the local police n let them deal with those pakistani men. i will never rent any Pakistani bungalow at perhentian island.. thank god nothing bad happened to sue. enjoy ur travel n be safe!!

    ReplyDelete