Monday, March 29, 2010

Over-kindness

Over-kindness is always dangerous.

This is our second trip of Malaysia.
My impression of Malaysia is always good.
Our first trip was on our honeymoon on beautiful Tioman Island.
And the second trip is our starting spot of the world trip.

Also we met some people who could easily be friends for life.

I haven’t met any people who forced us to buy shitty stuff. I hate it when they never take “no thanks” and never give up until you open your wallet and we know it’s worthless to buy in other south Asia.

I haven’t even seen a street cat, yet.

The Long beach in Perhentian Island.

Of course, I have to see more countries to agree this island is most beautiful spot in the world.
But so far its scenery has just melted in my heart.
It’s hard to find a place that keeps the natural environment this well without any scratch.

When I look down the ocean from the port, I can see many fishes are swimming as making a group. Those little fish keep changing the shape and playing in the water.

It is so amazing that I can see that scene at the port.

Third day of this island.

We are budget travelers, so we didn’t expect to stay in any fancy hotel like before.
Our first chalet was really well priced, but there wasn’t any electricity during the daytime.
There isn’t attached bathroom in our room either, so we have to use the shared bathroom.
We don’t need hot water in here but there isn’t any choice to choose between hot water and cold water.

The toilet is outside from our room and it stinks when I shut the door to do my business, I need to depend on the light from gap of door. Sometimes lizards are watching me on the wall
When I saw a big one is crawling toward me, I just chickened out and put on my pants to run away.
I guess I am still a city person.
From this environment, naturally we have had trouble with constipation, so I persuaded Chad to move to another chalet which has an attached bathroom.

Even the second place was just beside the jungle where I hate, but it was nicer and cleaner than the first one. As soon as when we got in the room, I could finish my unsolved business.

The managers were super kind to us.
They kindly let us know where the cheapest restaurant here is, and a supermarket where I can finally buy food to cook.

People in this island really connected to each other.
When we asked people where we can buy food, the answer was we have to go to another island which we have to pay for 2-way tickets, the ship fee is almost same as dinner.
After we got the answer, calculated in head and gave up cooking.
Everything here price are twice expensive than outside so I was really happy to save some money to cook.

They also allowed me to use their kitchen no problem.
After I figured out where the supermarket was and I could use the kitchen.
I was so excited!!!

When I cooked in the kitchen, the 2 managers were around me to help me as best they could.
I wasn’t asking them for any favors.
They peeled onion and garlic, washed the pot and dishes for me.
When I drank water while I cooked, they stirred food instead of me, too.
And let me use all the spices in the kitchen, gave me fresh eggs from chicken’s nest.

When I went back to clean the dishes, they pushed me out from the kitchen and took away dirty dishes from me with “you are my friend.”

After the sun goes down, I was going to meet Chad at the bar in the beach.
They worried me even the bar is so close from chalet.
One manager walked with me to the bar and trying to make conversation with me.
The conversation can’t be successful because of their short English.

After few glasses of rum, I fell in sleep in the hammock while waiting for Chad to come back.
One manager came to beside me without any sound to swing it and the other manager sing.

They showed me the clock and invited us for Pakistan dinner with disco.
I expected disco ball or something but all they have was tiny TV with 90’s bad pop music you ever don’t want to listen it but I was happy to watch them.

We had so much fun to pose with chicken and eat good food with free.
Chad went out for grab one more bottle to keep this mood.
I asked one manger who I don’t ever remember, “Why are you so good to me? And thanks for your kindness” he said. “You are my friend and I like you so much. Please don’t say thanks. There are no thanks for between friends.”

Next morning, he asked Chad for scuba diving schedule and he waved his hands for him.
I back to my room to pack our bags to leave this island after Chad finished his diving with open door because there wasn’t any light if I closed door, I didn’t want to lose another thing.

The kind manager came into the room and shut the door.
I surprised, I told him to leave but he looked really horny-dirty animal.

“Let me watching you, I love you, I want to see you” and he took out his tongues.
I told him to leave 5 times but it didn’t work to him.
Luckily I remembered the spray which I bought it in Korea.
I took it out and screamed at him.
It scared the shit out of him and he kept saying sorry and left.

My heart was beating so fast and my hands kept shaking with the spray.
I didn’t know what to do.
All I can do was pack ASAP and run to Chad’s diving school.

Chad came after 30 minutes.

I wanted to tell him this entire terrible story and stay in his arms where safest spot in the world to me is but I couldn’t ruin all his feeling.
He was going to get his license after a few hours.
He had been through bad days until yesterday.
And I wanted to him to avoid fighting in third world country.

I told him about it late night.
He was mad at him and he was proud of me that I could handle the situation.

I am trying to forget about it but it’s hard to.Tonight, I will sleep in my husband’s arms and it makes me feel so safe


Soon-mok

2 comments:

  1. 내가 남자 조심하라 캤쩨.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a real eye-opener to the kindness of strangers that can be both good and bad. Anyway, sounds like you did fine with the situation. If worse comes to worse, you could have gone taekwondo on his ass...

    ReplyDelete