Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Day 20 - Bali, Indonesia

A few weeks back in Korea, I found myself in the south of South Korea visiting my good friend, Randy. Another gentleman joined us for the night, and he happened to be an American who served in the Vietnam War. This man told us stories of killing children, his nightmares and just how much he wanted to end his life. At one point he said, “Life will kick you in the butt every chance it gets.”

How true that is.

Just when it seemed that we couldn’t be any happier, Sue and I had a train wreck of a night. We were both on the wrong side of sobriety, and I had to hold onto the mast for dear life.

As she lies in bed and I write this beside her, I feel like I’ve learned more about myself in one night than I have in years. When the Vietnam vet spoke that line, I knew he wasn’t just talking about the war or his horrid memories, but just about everyday life.

I’ve been thinking for the past couple years about how mature I’ve become and how much I’ve grown as a man, but I still have all these foolish desires that creep around and lead me towards darkness.

I need to realize that entertainment is just that, and the only thing that really matters in life are family and friends.

chad

ps. very close to making the decision to live in St. Marys for a few years! we are excited about this prospect!

No comments:

Post a Comment