Friday, April 23, 2010

Day 37 - Alanya, Turkey

Getting ready for another day on the road. We're going to take the 9 hour bus ride to Marmaris where we are going to catch a ferry to Rhodes, Greece.

I got to get something off my chest. Having spent the last 5 weeks in Islamic countries (Thailand is somewhat Islamic), I have really come to have strong opinions on the religion. Firstly, I am not a fan of any religion. Secondly, I was raised as a Christian, so I've been in the system. Most of my family is still Christian and I love them all, as I do my Muslim friends; they are tremendous people.

With all that being said, the religious practices of the Muslims is extremely intrusive. I have been woken up for the past 3 days at 5:30 AM to a loud speaker that feels like it's in my ear, blasting the morning prayer. I know that many people cherish this prayer and it gives them great spiritual comfort, but I really question whether they care at all about the people who don't believe. Am I such a terrible person because I'm not convinced that there's a man in the sky? I help old ladies cross the street, I give chicken soup to my neighbours when they're sick. That damn prayer at 5:30 AM! Atheists don't blast Tool as the sun rises, we wait for alarm clocks and roosters! If you want to believe in a god, do it without alienating the good people around you.

My wife's also been the victim of some poor treatment by Muslim men. Of course I understand that this could happen anywhere and be done by anyone.

Sorry for the aggressive blog, but I don't think you just want sunshine and lollipops from me.

chad

No comments:

Post a Comment