Saturday, April 17, 2010

Day 31 - Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Yes, back in KL again!

I like KL, it's very comfortable. Of all the places that we've gone over the past month, KL is probably the place that makes me feel most welcome. We also have a very nice guest house to come to. We met the owner on the street by chance this morning at 4:30 AM! He said, 'oh, just come by and you can have a room for 20RM.' Yeah, that's about $6!! Perfect place to just catch up on some sleep and get ready for a flight.

This might be a little too much information for some of you, but I am really constipated. I haven't had a decent shit for about 6 days. The scary thing is that I've been eating like a fat kid that fell into a pool of chocolate sauce. I've got some huge build-up! I'll wait another day or two, then I'll at least go to the pharmacy to get something. Not painful at the moment, but I've gone to the bathroom and struck-out about 30 times over the past 4 days.

Our time in SE Asia has been an adventure, but to be honest we were more than a little frustrated on countless occassions. I just don't like being put in situations where you have to be on-guard because you're going to get scammed if you're not. For instance, last night we needed a taxi at 4am. They said 30RM, we said 'no way' and sat down on a bench. 5 minutes later some guy comes over and says, 'okay, 20RM'. We agreed, then we start driving and he says, there is a 10RM service charge for 'safety'. Devil, devil, devilish! I only gave him about 22RM, so it wasn't so bad.

I guess we've been spoiled living in Canada and South Korea. I took about 10 000 taxi rides in Seoul and got ripped off maybe twice! And in Canada, I can barely remember a handful of times where I had to negotiate for a cheaper price. That may change now. I'm still a softy when it comes to bartering, but I can be quite good. Sue and I are a good team, kinda good cop/bad cop.

Yes, I'm the good cop. Was there really any debate about that?

chad

No comments:

Post a Comment